RAF Tatenhill, Staffordshire
Visit Date(s): 11th August 2007
RAF Tatenhill was built with three hard-surfaced runways (Tarmac/woodchip surface), with 19 frying-pan type hardstands for aircraft parking, to Class-A standard. The runways were 09/27 (E/W), 1600 yards (1463 metres, ext. to 1850 yards, 1691 metres), 04/22 (NNE/SSW) 1000 yards (914 metres) and 18/36 (N/S), 1100 yards (1005 metres). There were three hangars, a “paired” T2 and two blister types and the Watch Office was a Watch Office for Bomber & Bomber OTU Stations (13726/41 & 15683/41). Accommodation was supplied for 1159 personnel, RAF and WAAF, all ranks to the north of the airfield, with the bomb dump to the south. The station idnetification code was 'VL'.
Built in 1941, RAF Tatenhill opened that same year, with a detachment of Vickers Wellingtons from 27 OTU, RAF Lichfield. The airfield was considered unsuitable for operating Wellingtons and in October 1942, the Wellingtons departed after nearby RAF Church Broughton had been completed. In November 1942, 15 (P) AFU arrived with its Airspeed Oxfords. The airfield also received 'E' Flight of 5 (P)AFU (a single-engined training unit) and shared the site until 15 (P)AFU moved to RAF Grove, Oxfordshire. In January 1944, 21 (P) AFU arrived with its Oxfords and control was passed to them.
In November 1944, a huge explosion at the Fauld bomb store resulted in 21 MU (weapons) needing a new home and Tatenhill was selected, with 21 (P) AFU moving to Seighford in January the following year. The site was used now for munitions and other storage until its closure in 1950, when the site was disposed of.
The airfield site today is a busy flying club. All of the other buildings are on private property employed for a number of purposes.
Elswewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links
Tatenhill Aviation Ltd