RAF Orston, Nottinghamshire
Visit Date(s): 19th June 2011
Equipped with very basic facilities, RAF Orston opened in July 1941. Three grass runways were prepared: N/S (1000 yards/914 m), E/W (1200 yards/1097 m) and NW/SE (1000 yards/914 m). The airfield had nine blister hangars, most being on the west side of the airfield, along with a few buildings. It is not known what provision was made for the 126 RAF, all ranks but they were probably billeted in the local area as well as any rudimentary A.M. accommodation.
From opening, RAF Orston served as a satellite for RAF Newton and the operations of 16 (Polish) Service Flying Training School, which flew a mixture of types. Over its lifespan, Orston was only used by 16 (P) SFTS until closure in 1945. The sparse facilities were soon cleared and virtually nothing now remains except for a couple of fragments of concrete and a single, overgrown, building ruin in a farmyard.
Elsewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links