RAF Hixon, Staffordshire
Visit Date(s): 11th August 2007
RAF Hixon was built to Class-A bomber airfield standards and opened in May 1942. It was intended to be a parent station (which it eventually became) and was equipped with four T2 and single MAP B1 hangar, all on the technical site which was situated to the south-east of the airfield. The airfield itself had the usual three intersecting runways (concrete and tarmac surface): 22/06 NE/SW (1650 yds/1508 m); 28/10 E/W (1400 yds/1280 m) and 34/16 NNW/SSE (1200 yds/1097 m). Accommodation and communal facilities were provided for 2938 personnel, RAF and WAAF, all ranks to the south east. The station identification code was 'HX'.
Upon opening, RAF Hixon was for a time parented by nearby RAF Lichfield, Staffordshire. With the site complete, RAF Hixon itself became a parent station, with its own satellite airfields being RAF Whitchurch Heath and RAF Seighford.
The first unit in, arriving just after the airfield opened. was 30 OTU which officially formed in June, 1942 and operating Vickers Wellingtons. The number of aircraft available to 30 OTU was swollen when 25 OTU at Finningley disbanded, its aircraft arriving at Hixon and many of the ground crew being sent to the Seighford satellite.
As part of the training syllabus, fighter affiliation played a large part and the station was equipped with Curtiss P-40 Tomahawks along with Miles Masters, Miles Martinets and Hawker Hurricanes for the purpose. These types formed the Hixon-based 1486 Bomber Affiliation Flight.
In February 1945, 30 OTU moved out to RAF Gamston, Nottinghamshire and were quickly replaced, briefly, by thirty-seven Bristol Beaufort IIs of 12 (P)AFU from February to June, 1945. This virtually ceased flying operations at Hixon. Throughout its career, Hixon had not only been the home to RAF training aircraft but had also had a number of USAAF types as visitors, the Station being close to the US Combat Crew Replacement Centre at Stone.
After flying had ceased, Hixon became a sub-site for 16 MU at Stafford and this lasted until the site was closed in November 1957. It was finally disposed of in August 1962 and reverted back to agriculture and industry.
Elsewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links