RAF Darley Moor, Derbyshire
Site Visit(s): 1996; 22/08/05; 26/03/06; 18/08/09
Construction began on RAF Darley Moor in mid-1942 by principal contractor Monk's of Warrington to the Class-A standards of the day as a satellite for RAF Ashbourne. Three concrete runways (tarmac/woodchip surface) were laid: 20/02 N/S (1800 yds/1646 m); 27/09 E/W (1400 yds/1280 m) and 32/14 NW/SE (1400 yds/1280 m) with twenty-seven frying-pan hardstands for aircraft parking along with a single T2 hangar. The bomb stores were to the south-east and accommodation was spread over seven sites to the north-west, with facilities provided for a total 1245 personnel, RAF and WAAF, all ranks. The identification code was 'DM'.
Opened on late 1942, RAF Darley Moor operated as the satellite for RAF Ashbourne's 42 OTU, a few miles to the north. A mix of Blenheims, Whitleys, Albermarles, Lysanders, Martinets and the odd Spitfire flew on a regular basis on fighter affiliation, supply drop or glider training.
The site was closed to flying in 1945 and taken over by 28 MU and their munitions storage operations until 1954. The site was placed on Care & Maintenance until being disposed of in the late 1950s.
Today, it is home to the Darley Moor Motor Cycle Circuit and on the southern end of the airfield, occasional micro-light flying takes place. The surviving Instructional Site is now a private dwelling and garden.
Elsewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links
Darley Moor MCRRC