RAF Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire
Visit Date(s): 11th August 2007
The small airfield of RAF Abbots Bromley, built on a low-lying plateau between Rugely to the south and Uttoxeter to the north, opened in 1940. Comprising of two grass runways, both 650 yards (594 m) and small technical site, Abbots Bromley was a Relief Landing Ground and satellite to the Magisters and Tiger Moths of 16 EFTS, RAF Burnaston.
There were a total of five Type "B" Robin hangars, two blister hangars and an extended blister type around the airfield - one Robin survives, albeit roofless. Another Robin is extant in nearby Uttoxeter used as a Staffordshire Council store and is most likely a refugee from Abbots Bromley.
After flying ceased immediately after the War, the site was briefly used as an Air Ministry Works Depot and also served as a sub-site for 21 MU, RAF Fauld, handling munitions. This is reflected in the change of use (and name) of many of the Technical Site building by the early 1950s.
Elsewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links