Vickers Wellington HE818 and Handley Page Halifax NA581
Visit Date(s): 2006
1) Vickers Wellington X HE818, 18 OTU, RAF Worksop - 7th March 1944
2) Handley Page Halifax III NA581/KW-U, 425 (Alouette) Sqn RCAF, RAF Tholthorpe - 2nd August 1944
1) Detailed to undertake a night navigational execise, HE818 developed trouble just after take off from RAF Worksop. It reached about 600' when control was lost, the aircraft crashing about 200 yards from the memorial site, killing all but one on board. The survivor, Sgt C Clitheroe, was killed later in the War (August, 1944).
2) Whilst on a daytime flight test, NA581 encountered engine trouble, resulting in the aircraft crashing, killing all on board.
14th September 1997
Village green, Blyth
Elsewhere on Airfield Archaeology
Related External Links
1) Vickers Wellington X HE818
2) Handley Page Halifax III NA581/KW-U